I did this for my buddy Greg from New Jersey who asked if I had any pointers on the North South Choke.
In the video I show the way that I personally set the choke up. I’ve used it successfully in tournaments and fights.
I hope the video helps you add a new submission to your game, or at least gets you thinking about something new to try!
Not sure about anyone else, but I feel like the gi market can be a bit disingenuous these days. Companies seem to pop up and claim to have something “new” or some change that makes them better than the rest. On closer inspection it often ends up being just another gi that has been cloned off another gi company’s design and produced in Pakistan. Not new, Not special, just marketing and someone trying to make a buck. Which, I guess I can’t blame anyone for trying to make money, but if you’re going to do it, at least be honest.
Here is a video from Datsusara exposing fake claims about a hemp gi.
I’ve been asked how I tape my fingers for competitions or when they get injured. Here is a video of how I personally like to tape my fingers. There are other methods but this has always worked for me.
This is a match during the Ohio Grappler’s Quest in 2012. I had a match against a tough Black belt. My passing felt good that day and I eventually secured a wrist lock at the end.
So I’m going to begin rolling next week and I am looking at different face mask options so I don’t re-injure my nose. If you have a moment, please take a look at the picture below and tell me if you think I should purchase A. B. or C. I’ve read some reviews and just want to see if anyone has any input or has possibly ever used one before.
Here is a video demonstrating how to use aspects of a wrestling switch with the kimura / kimura sweep position from full guard.
21 things about me you probably didn’t know (It started off as 10, oops)
- I’m a self-proclaimed coffee snob and refuse to drink crappy coffee.
- I’m a light weight when it comes to alcohol. Seriously, a few beers will make me all sorts of silly.
- I love Ludovico Einaudi’s music, it’s fantastic.
- Fantastic has been called my “F Word” by others because I use it when I think something is really awesome, or as I would say, fantastic.
- I got the news that my mother had passed away about 60 seconds after receiving my black belt.
- I love maps, especially old maps that show the world carved up in an unfamiliar pattern from years ago. A 19th century map hangs in my living room.
- I’m a history nerd and love chatting with people about it. That’s why my “lucky” students get surprise 5 minute history lectures after class.
- I did a cycle of steroids once when I was 21.
- I used to be a really chubby kid. I was 5’9 and 235lbs in 10th grade.
- I was bitten by a brown recluse and have a scar on my left leg from where the surgeon had to remove tissue.
- I tore my lateral meniscus in my right knee a month after the spider bite.
- I didn’t own a t.v. from 2004-2013. I bought the t.v. primarily for functions in the gym. I hate television. Its brain numbing.
- I grew up very poor (financially) as a kid.
- I don’t like wearing athletic shoes or clothes when I’m not working out.
- As a 9 year old kid I named my German shepherd Maximus after reading about the roman consul / dictator Quintus Fabius Maximus. We called him Max for short.
- I love brunch and breakfast food. In fact I go out to brunch almost every Sunday. Louisville has a pretty good food scene so I’m lucky. I’m still a fat kid at heart.
- After BJJ and MMA my favorite sport is probably Strongman.
- I love Maine and think it’s a beautiful place to visit.
- I listen to audiobooks and podcasts when I drive. All either history or self-help nonfiction type stuff.
- I got my nickname from a friend who was mad at me when I spazzed on him during a roll as a white belt. He called me “big dumb wookie” which led to “Chewbacca” and then eventually “Chewy.” Until things like Facebook most people didn’t know my real name. Oh and once when I was straight out of college I introduced myself as Chewy at a job interview. I was so used to introducing myself as that from the gym.
- I press my nose in with my index finger when I am thinking.